Nov. 18, 2011
For more information, contact: Kim Vail, 317-692-7814
Mindy Reef, 317-692-7822
IFB state convention planned
Indiana Farm Bureau’s annual state convention will be held Dec. 9 and 10 at the JW Marriott in downtown Indianapolis.
This year’s theme is “Connect.”
Indiana Farm Bureau is the state's largest farm organization, with approximately 78,000 farmer members and 200,000 associate members. Approximately 1,500 are expected to attend the meeting.
Each county Farm Bureau will be represented at the business meeting on Dec. 10, where delegates will discuss policy issues that have arisen since the main delegate session, which was held in August. The delegate session will also include the election for 2nd vice president.
Activities on Thursday, Dec. 8, are for county Farm Bureau presidents and woman leaders.
Other convention highlights:
- Breakout sessions on Friday, Dec. 9, and Saturday, Dec. 10, cover topics including ag nutrients and water quality, talking to consumers, working with local government and avoiding farm truck accidents.
- President Don Villwock’s annual address will be at noon on Dec. 9 during the opening session.
- A trade show featuring commodity organizations, commercial exhibitors and a number of informational sessions will run on Friday, Dec. 9, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A general session at 4 p.m. on Dec. 9 will feature political humorist and grassroots advocate Patrick Haggerty.
- Evening activities on Dec. 9 will be at the Indiana State Museum. Finals for the Discussion Meet and recognition for Farm Bureau Young Farmer awards will take place at the museum.
- Membership and county awards will be presented following Saturday’s lunch.
- Tours of Easley Winery and N.K. Hurst Company will take place on Saturday, Dec. 10. Tours are $10 per person and space is limited.
The convention sessions are free and open to anyone. Registration is available on the IFB website, www.infarmbureau.org/convention.
For more information, visit the website or call 1-800-FARM-BUR (327-6287).