Happy August! Are you looking for something fun to do to wrap up the summer? This year’s Indiana State Fair – featuring “The Wonderful World of Food” – starts August 4 and runs through August 20. Lucky for you, Indiana Farm Bureau has a “full plate” of activities planned for fairgoers young and old. Discover where your food, fuel and fiber come from and how Indiana farmers grow, raise and process it all. There will be free events, activities and displays, giveaways, farmer testimonials and more at the Farm Bureau Building!
- Ag Fact Adventure and The Wonder Trail: The Ag Fact Adventure scavenger hunt will take you on a journey through the Farm Bureau Building to learn something new about agriculture and, if you succeed, win a prize. INFB also sponsors The Wonder Trail, which leads participants around the entire fairgrounds for a lesson in modern farming.
- Barn Theater: Do you know how toothpaste got its minty flavor? Odds are it came from an Indiana mint farmer. Learn more at the new ‘Barn Theater’ wall where you can watch videos showcasing different farmers from across Indiana. The videos will feature farmers of lumber, cattle, turkeys, flowers, goat cheese, apples, mint, wind, hogs, grain and popcorn.
- Free popcorn: As always, there will again be free popcorn served every day from noon to 5 p.m. Just follow the buttery aroma and you’ll find us. Guests can also enter a drawing to win free popcorn for a year (400 bags of microwaveable popcorn) courtesy of Preferred Popcorn in Palmyra, Indiana.
- Peterson Farm Bros: New event alert! Have you heard the famous YouTube parody “I’m Farming and I Grow It” by the Peterson Farm Bros? If not, check out their popular YouTube page. The Peterson Farm Bros are three brothers from a farm family in central Kansas who use social media to promote agriculture. They’ll be performing in the Farm Bureau Building auditorium on August 4 from 4 to 6 p.m. You’ll have the chance to get an autograph and photo with the Bros afterwards!
- Old-Fashioned Pancake Breakfast: Stop in before work and get breakfast at the annual Old-Fashioned Pancake Breakfast on Farmers Day, August 16. Pancakes, sausage and drinks are available for a $3 suggested donation to support the Indiana FFA Foundation. Feasting will take place from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Main Street of the fairgrounds.
- Taste from Indiana Farms: Free food alert! Visit “Taste from Indiana Farms” in the Farm Bureau Building auditorium, August 15, 16 and 17 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. where you can sample free, locally-grown foods served by Indiana farm families and take home a collection of recipes. This year’s featured foods are beef meatballs, cinnamon apple juice, cucumbers and pickles, pretzel snacks, ham slices, chocolate-covered cherries, pulled duck, vegetable juice, cheese cubes and lamb burgoo. Come hungry (to eat and learn)!
The Indiana State Fair takes place August 4 through 20 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and Event Center in Indianapolis. Daily gate and building hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Farm Bureau Building is located on the north side of the fairgrounds just inside gate 12 and is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.