Indiana Farm Bureau
March 14, 2012
For more information: Kathleen Dutro, 317-692-7824, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mindy Reef, 317-692-7822, email@example.com
Joni Wallman, 317-692-7870
High-resolution images of the winners and the finalists are available for downloading at www.infarmbureau.org/NewsReleaseHomepage.aspx?id=8709. You can also have one emailed to you by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. — Kathleen Dutro
State winners announced for Farm Bureau essay contest
Andrea Ledgerwood of Angola and Travis Koester of Wadesville are the state winners of the 2012 youth essay contest sponsored by Sen. Richard Lugar, Indiana Farm Bureau Inc. and Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance.
A total of 595 eighth graders from 31 counties participated in this year’s contest. Ledgerwood, who is the daughter of Bob and Lisa Ledgerwood, attends Prairie Heights Middle School. Koester, the son of Dale and Lisa Koester, attends St. Wendel Catholic School.
As state winners, both students will receive an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
“The Role of the Farm in a Healthy Diet” was the theme for the essay contest, according to IFB 2nd Vice President Isabella Chism. Chism chairs the Women’s Leadership Committee, which is in charge of the annual contest.
The winners were announced March 9 at IFB’s annual Spring Conference.
One boy and girl were chosen as finalists from each of Indiana Farm Bureau’s 10 districts, and the state winners were chosen from that pool of 20 finalists. Each of the finalists wins a $50 U.S. Savings Bond. The other finalists are:
- District 1: Kyle Venditti of Crown Point, Taft Middle School; Rachel Stoner of Valparaiso, Morgan Township Middle School.
- District 2: In addition to Ledgerwood, Luke Lashure of Fort Wayne, St. Joseph Hessen Cassell.
- District 3: Ross Kindig of Brook, South Newton Middle School; Grace Ringer of Chalmers, Frontier Jr./Sr. High School.
- District 4: Carley Myers of Monroe, Adams Central; Will Harris of Kokomo, Northwestern Middle School.
- District 5: Jonathan Meredith of Danville, Cascade Middle School; Bailey Hayes of Rockville, Rockville Jr./Sr. High School.
- District 6: Aiden Foran of Indianapolis, Immaculate Heart of Mary; Karsyn Gaynor of Indianapolis, Immaculate Heart of Mary.
- District 7: Courtney Brown of Center Point, Clay City Jr./Sr. High School; Sam Ellis of Bloomington, Bachelor Middle School.
- District 8: Brevin Runnebohn of Milroy, Benjamin Rush Middle School; Elizabeth Field of Rushville, Benjamin Rush Middle School.
- District 9: In addition to Koester, Halie Klueg of Evansville, Thompkins Middle School.
- District 10: Anne Franke of Seymour, Immanuel Lutheran; Jerry Clayton of Vevay, Switzerland County Middle School.