Former IndyCar driver will keynote Spring Conference
Indiana Farm Bureau’s 2014 Spring Conference will be held at the Indianapolis Marriott East March 7 and 8. The theme of this year’s conference is “Slice of Life.”
Sarah Fisher, a former IndyCar driver and the owner of Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing, will be the keynote speaker. She will present “Racing to Win: On the Track, In Business, In Life” at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, March 7. Among her many accomplishments, Fisher holds the record for the most starts in the Indianapolis 500 by a woman, nine in total, and is the first female team owner to win an IndyCar Series race.
In addition to speakers, award ceremonies and silent auctions, Spring Conference will feature several workshops and breakout sessions from which attendees may choose.
Friday, March 7
2:45 p.m. – Workshop series #1:
- “Speed Sharing” – Dr. Julie Klarich, director of affiliate relations, Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance.
- PARP session – Fred Whitford, Purdue University.
- “Flower Arranging” – Brianna Chapman, The Flower Girl, www.middletownfloraldesign.net.
4:30 p.m. – Workshop series #2:
- “Standing Tall: Cowboy Ethics” – Dwight Moody.
- PARP Session (continued) – Fred Whitford, Purdue University.
- “Affordable Health Care Act: Making Sense of the New Healthcare Law” - Ken Roney, manager of advanced sales, Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance.
Saturday, March 8
8:15 a.m. – Breakout session series #1:
- Farm bill update – Indiana Farm Bureau.
- “Talking With Consumers About GMOs” – Janice Person, Monsanto.
- “Container Gardening Tips & Tools” – Darren Collins, Wischmeier Nursery.
9:30 a.m. – Breakout session series #2:
- Ag in the Classroom training – Julie Taylor, education coordinator, Indiana Farm Bureau.
- “What is Farm Succession and How Do You Plan for It?” – Kevin Spafford, Farm Journal succession planning expert.
- “Dishin’ with Donna: Food Preservation” – Donna Handley.
10:45 a.m. – Breakout session series #3:
- “Taking the Next Step in Farm Succession” – Kevin Spafford, Farm Journal succession planning expert.
- “Electricity Thieves That Have Your Permission to Steal From You” – Bob Geswein, REMC.
- “Trash to Treasure” – Deb Walsh.