October 22, 2013
IFB state convention on the road again
Indiana Farm Bureau’s annual state convention will be held Dec. 13 and 14 at the Grand Wayne Convention Center in Fort Wayne.
This year’s theme is “Navigating the Future.”
Indiana Farm Bureau is the state’s largest farm organization, with approximately 75,000 farmer members and 190,000 associate members. Approximately 1,200 are expected to attend the meeting.
Author and former Navy commander Mike Abrashoff will deliver the convention’s keynote on Saturday, Dec. 14, at noon. Abrashoff will talk about how the approach he used to take the worst performing ship in the Pacific Fleet and make it one of the best applies to leadership in organizations.
Each county Farm Bureau will send representatives to the business meeting on Dec. 14, where they will elect Indiana Farm Bureau’s vice president for the next three years. The delegates also may discuss policy issues that have arisen since the main policy-setting delegate session in August.
Other convention highlights:
- Roundtable breakout sessions will take place on Friday, Dec. 13, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The roundtable format will allow convention attendees to discuss issues with each other and rotate between topics.
- Regular breakout sessions on Friday, Dec. 13, and Saturday, Dec. 14, cover topics including legal issues, sharing successful county programs, personal leadership and Ag in the Classroom.
- President Don Villwock’s annual address will be at noon on Dec. 13 during the opening session.
- A trade show featuring commodity organizations, commercial exhibitors and a number of informational sessions will run on Friday, Dec. 13, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 14, from 8 a.m. to noon.
- County awards will be presented during Friday’s dinner; membership awards will be presented during Saturday’s lunch.
The convention sessions are free and open to anyone; there is a cost for meal tickets, which must be purchased through a county Farm Bureau office. Registration and a complete schedule are available on the IFB website, www.infarmbureau.org/convention.
For more information, visit the website or call 317-692-7846.